This smoothie is a little bit tart, a little bit sweet, as well as thick and creamy.
We used rhubarb from our own garden and the instructions for preparing fresh rhubarb are in the complete, printable recipe at the end of this post.
If you don’t have fresh rhubarb, you can buy some frozen, cooked, sweetened rhubarb and just thaw it. It will work just as well.
Making a smoothie is a fairly simple process.
Combine all of the ingredients in a blender. We use a Vitamix.
Blend until smooth and serve immediately.
This recipe makes 4 servings and here’s the breakdown of calories and nutrients per serving:
- Food energy: 275kcal
- Saturated fatty acids: 0.05g
- Monounsaturated fatty acids: 0.07g
- Polyunsaturated fatty acids: 0.22g
- Total fat: 0.33g
- Calories from fat: 2
- Cholesterol: —
- Carbohydrate, by difference: 73.00g
- Total dietary fiber: 6.66g
- Protein: 1.62g
- Total lipid (fat): 0.51g
- Water: 277.47g
- Ash: 1.57g
- Total sugars: 63.61g
- Calcium: 281mg
- Iron: 0.97mg
- Magnesium: 38mg
- Phosphorus: 47mg
- Potassium: 400mg
- Sodium: 2mg
- Zinc: 0.34mg
- Copper: 0.10mg
- Manganese: 0.59mg
- Selenium: 2.06μg
- Vitamin C: 72.09mg
- Thiamin: 0.05mg
- Riboflavin: 0.07mg
- Niacin: 0.83mg
- Pantothenic acid: 0.27mg
- Vitamin B6: 0.10mg
- Folate, total: 34μg
- Folic acid: —
- Food folate: 34μg
- Folate: 34μg dietary folate equivalents
- Choline: —
- Vitamin B12: —
- Vitamin A: 169IU
- Vitamin A RAE: 9μg retinol activity equivalents
- Retinol: —
- Vitamin E (alpha-tocopherol): 97.98mg
- Vitamin D µg: —
- Vitamin D IU: —
- Vitamin K (phylloquinone): 261.36μg
- Alpha-carotene: —
- Beta-carotene: —
- Beta-cryptoxanthin: —
- Lycopene: 39μg
- Lutein+zeazanthin: —
- Percent refuse: —
Here’s the complete, printable recipe:
Strawberry Rhubarb Smoothie – Vegan
- 3 cups prepared cooked rhubarb you can use homemade (see instructions below) or store-bought frozen, cooked, sweetened rhubarb thawed
- 3 cups whole fresh strawberries approx. 24 whole berries
- 2 small apples, cored and chopped
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric
- Combine all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Serve immediately or refrigerate for up to 24 hours or freeze for later use.
How to Prepare Fresh Rhubarb
- Thoroughly wash the rhubarb and cut it into 1-inch pieces.
- Add the pieces to a saucepan and add just enough water to cover the rhubarb.
- Add sugar to taste – it will depend on how much rhubarb you are cooking.
- Bring to a boil over medium-high heat and boil for about 20 seconds.
- Turn off the heat and allow the rhubarb to sit until it has cooled.